Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Starting Over With Sourdough

My new cookbook has a recipe for whole wheat sourdough starter. After saying for weeks that I was going to try something out of this cookbook I decided this would be a good place for me to start.



My husband says the bread reminds him of bread in Germany. I can't deny, it does have a very "rye" type of taste . . . which got me thinking. I wonder if bakers in Germany use their own cultured yeast instead of commercial yeast.

The recipe makes 5 loaves, so after the first loaf I was a bit tired of the new taste. I'll be excited to see how the taste changes as my new start matures.

Anyone intersted in trying a loaf of whole wheat sourdough bread?

1 comment:

Rebecca J said...

I'll take that recipe. We just bought a loaf of whole wheat bread from Central Market, and it tastes almost like a sourdough. I'd love to be able to recreate it at home. xo

Finished and Favorites

   I finally finished reading ALL the Newbery Award winners. And not being someone who can do two things an once, I didn't make time to...