Sunday, August 9, 2020

What Makes a Book an Award Winner???

The past few months I've had a lot of extra time of my hands. I'm sure you have too. For many reasons, I decided this would be the year I would really work on my goal to read all the Newbery Award books. 

The Newbery Award begin in 1921 as a way to promote excellence in children's literature. 

The first book awarded was "The Story of Mankind." - a serviceable 1920's  En do-European history that reads like a grandfather telling his 11 year old grandson stories about history and ancient political systems. It's not bad, but if that was the award winner for 1922, it's clear why a little incentive for good children's books needed to happen.

But what makes a good children's book? Is it the book's appeal to children? Is it what the book may teach a child about life, the world, others? Is it the author's ability to create something new and innovative for children? After reading half of the books that have won the Newbery award, I see many different ideas emerging about what the purpose of Children's Literature is and what a good children's book should do for a child.

As I read, I'll document what I find, what books I like, and what books I don't like. And add some thoughtful discussion questions here in case you are reading with friends or as part of a group.

I want to read all 98 (and two new ones) when the award hits its 100th anniversary in 2022.

I'll also be branching out and reading from some of the many "Children's Choice" award lists established by Elementary School Librarians and Teachers in different states from 1930 to 1970.     

Please, read along with me. Find me on GoodReads.com and leave me a comment. 

 

Have you read any of the Newbery Award winners from the early 20th century (1922-1950)? What did you think?

Here are some resources for reading and finding older books:

* Your Public Library Reference Desk - If a books is not at your library, ask your librarian about ways to possibly borrow books from other libraries.

* Online Resources like OverDrive.com through your library

* Project Gutenberg free ebooks in the public domain

* Libri-Vox.org free audiobooks in the public domain 

* Check the lending policies of large city libraries near you. Some extend their online resources to state residents. If that includes you, check the library's website for instructions on how to get access.

No comments:

Finished and Favorites

   I finally finished reading ALL the Newbery Award winners. And not being someone who can do two things an once, I didn't make time to...