Monday, February 15, 2021

Let's Celebrate

After we take down the Christmas decorations, I immediately put up Valentine's. I love the color red and will do anything to celebrate a holiday that lets me display it boldly in my home. These past few years, my family has also been using the beginning of the year to celebrate the Chinese New Year, or Lunar New Year and spend time learning more about Asian culture. This year we made lucky lantern candy from Kumquats that reminded me of Christmas and tasted a little like cough drops. 

 


We also read a Newbery Honor book my sister suggested: Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin. I love traditional Chinese folk tales and this book features some I've heard before and some new ones as the main character, a little girl named Minli, travels far from home to try to change her family's fortune. My children and I have enjoyed the adventure and the thoughtfulness of this book as the characters struggle to decide what is truly important to them. It's been a great kick-off to the new year.

 

I've also been reading one of the very few Non-fiction Newbery award winners. Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell Freedman, a former Associated Press reporter. He uses strong research and accessible language to draw readers into history. His use of primary source historic pictures helps too. I love seeing pictures of President Lincoln growing out his beard and standing in front of his Illinois home with one of his sons. I've also loved the review of the political atmosphere surrounding Abraham Lincoln's election and some of the many issues that lead up to the Civil War.


Happy President's Day! I hope you enjoy these books no matter what time of year you get to read them.


No comments:

Finished and Favorites

   I finally finished reading ALL the Newbery Award winners. And not being someone who can do two things an once, I didn't make time to...