Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Why my roommate is like Mary Poppins

Don't take this literally because 1. I'm not a literal person, and 2. my roommate is not and has never acted like an English Nanny.

That said, I would like to start out by "reading" you the advertisement that brought Mary Poppins to the Banks' doorstep:

Wanted a nanny for two adorable children.

If you want this choice position
Have a cheery disposition
Rosy cheeks, no warts!
Play games, all sort

You must be kind, you must be witty
Very sweet and fairly pretty
Take us on outings, give us treats
Sing songs, bring sweets

Never be cross or cruel
Never give us castor oil or gruel
Love us as a son and daughter
And never smell of barley water

If you won't scold and dominate us
We will never give you cause to hate us
We won't hide your spectacles
So you can't see
Put toads in your bed
Or pepper in your tea
Hurry, Nanny!
Many thanks
Sincerely, Jane and Michael Banks

And do you remember how Jane and Michael got exactly what they wanted and also exactly what they needed at the same time?

When I moved to my current residence, I didn't know if I was getting what I needed or wanted, but I shortly found out that I got both:

Someone who doesn't judge me by my good or bad qualities, doesn't mind when I'm messy, and let's me be who I am and do what I do even if that's not what she is and she has absolutely no interest in what I'm doing. She cares because she knows I care. Someone who listens to me complain until 2 in the morning and doesn't say a word about what I ought to do with my life. And she doesn't get annoyed when I get up at 7:00am and bang around in the kitchen. We don't fight about money, we don't fight about boys, and we borrow each other's shoes and hair stuff and food with very little pain. And all she asks of me in return is for me to pay my part of the rent, be honest with myself and with her, and let her be herself.

How did I get so lucky? I don't know. I can only hope that I'm that good of a roommate this next time around.

1 comment:

Dave & Chels said...

Isn't it great to have wonderful roomates? Lucky for me, I found two wonderful roomates my last 2 1/2 years in Rexburg. It definatly makes things a lot more fun & relaxing.

Finished and Favorites

   I finally finished reading ALL the Newbery Award winners. And not being someone who can do two things an once, I didn't make time to...